UofN Internship Policy and Procedure
To enable students to obtain practical field experience in an appropriate working environment under mentors including fields in which the U of N school location may not have the types of activities or appropriate operational systems.
Definition of Terms
An internship is an application phase of a U of N school in which a student's acquired skills can be practiced, and additional information gained, in a working environment under assigned supervision of a qualified person within or outside of YWAM/U of N. Some examples:
- A Journalism student intern at CNN.
- A Graphic Design student intern at Day Spring Cards.
- A Science and Technology student in an industrial engineering design group.
- A Church Ministries student intern at a local church.
- Lecture phase of school completed successfully.
- Recommendation of school leader.
- Internship course registration submitted and approved with U of N before work begins.
- Internship to be completed within a designated period following the lecture phase.
2. Student Eligibility:
- Grade of "?[correction needed]" or better lecture phase.
- School leader approval.
- Word from the Lord.
- Spiritual/emotional/physical/financial readiness.
3. School Leader Responsibility:
- Develop goals and objectives with student.
- Arrange on-site supervision and regular feedback.
- Help coordinate housing and spiritual coverage.
- Monitor on-going process.
- Track all U of N course and student records Forms A-D.
- Assessment/grading including final submission of grades to the appropriate U of N International Registrar.
4. On-Site Supervisor: Qualifications and Responsibilities:
- Ability to adequately supervise the technical aspects of the student's internship.
- Provide appropriate working/learning environment.
- On-going supervision by knowledgeable person: Monitor time commitments, development etc.
- Communicate evaluation and assessment of the intern to appropriate school leader.
5. Credit Evaluation of a U of N Internship: 1 credit per week (40-50 hours per week) of satisfactory work on campus location or in the field.
Internship Policy and Procedure; App'd: Provost Team, Lausanne, July, 1995; 2005 U of N Reference Guide. Copyright © 1995 by YWAM/U of N; revised 1997, 2000, 2005. All Rights Reserved. Page 292